Friday, November 4, 2016

Friday, November 4 -- Weeks 10 and 11 TRADITIONAL CALENDAR

Welcome.png
Celebrate.png
Kudos to Casey for putting academic success first!  
Inform.png 
Weeks 10 and 11 begin this week.  Because we are learning about Stephen Covey's habits, the assignments are spread out over 2 weeks/modules.  Weeks 10 and 11 will be due together on Monday, November 14.  I recommend being done with Week 10 by Monday.

Instruct.png
Begin with the end in mind.png
The 2nd Habit should sound familiar because I use it often...“To begin with the end in mind means to start with a clear understanding of your destination”  (Stephen Covey),  Covey believes you should create goals twice -- first in your mind and second in reality.  Pick a goal and use the following action steps to create a goal in your mind:
  • What do I want the future to be?
  • What benefit do I want to give to my __________? (family, company, career, school, team, etc.)
  • What returns do I seek?
  • What standards am I aiming at?
  • What values do I believe in?
  • What are my strengths, and how can I leverage them to success?
  • What weaknesses do I have in approaching and overcoming obstacles?
  • Are there potential opportunities for changing the plan to meet changing conditions?
  • How might this affect the outcome?
  • What might prevent me from reaching the best result?
  • What will the success of this goal mean in a year? In three years?
  • What is the best possible result of my activities?
Now that you have created a goal in your mind, the next step is to follow through with your goal and make it a reality.  Stephen Covey has a list of recommended activities for implementing habit #2. Two of them are:
  1. Look carefully at your list of values and principles. Does a pattern emerge? Is this really the person that you are? Or want to be?
  2. Identify a project that you have coming up. Apply the principle of visualizing the final outcome. Write down the results that you desire and the steps that you need to take to achieve those results.

Contact.png
Message me in the course (use the inbox or send me a message from the gradebook, text/call me outside of Canvas at 919-435-2008, email me at melissa.dettman@ncpublicschools.gov, or message me using Remind.  If I do not answer right away, I will answer as soon as I can and definitely within 24 hours.  You can also get help using the Peer Tutoring Center -- click on the PTC quick link on our homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment